January 16, 2008

Semester 2

Psalm 138: 1 - 8

I will give thanks to you with all my heart.
I will make music to praise you in front of false gods.
I will bow toward your holy temple.
I will give thanks to your name because of your mercy and truth.
You have made your name and your promise greater than everything.

When I called, you answered me.
You made me bold by strengthening my soul.
All the kings of the earth will give thanks to you, O Lord,
because they have heard the promises you spoke.
They will sing this about the ways of the Lord:
"The Lord's honor is great!"
Even though the Lord is high above, he sees humble people close up,
and he recognizes arrogant people from a distance.

Even though I walk into the middle of trouble,
you guard my life against the anger of my enemies.
You stretch out your hand,
and your right hand saves me.
The Lord will do everything for me.
O Lord, your mercy endures forever.
Do not let go of what your hands have made.

This week marks the beginning of my second semester of college. Wow, thats scary to think about - crazy to think I've come this far already. I have to say it goes by fast. A lot faster than I thought it would. I think I've changed a little, I mean how can you not when you're surrounded by completely new things and new people. New experiences and responsibilties... well lets just say the possibilities are endless. I think I'm gonna learn a lot this semester. Already from my classes I know I'm gonna be working really hard to accomplish why I'm here. But there is more to life than academics. More like the reason why I'm here at all...

God created me. There is no other way to say it then to THANK Him for all He has done for me. And I can't even begin to tell you about His mercy. I will try - because from experience, I can tell you that its one of the most amazing things I have ever been given. Cuz the truth is - I mess up. A LOT. like kinda more than A LOT actually. my life is full of mistakes. I have this pattern of doing the same thing twice... or more. Like, yea I know this got me in trouble/hurt me before but heck lets do it again. Stupid huh? Yea. It is. But the amazing thing is GOD LOVES ME ANYWAYS. And I can't even comprehend that sometimes, because sometimes I beat myself up so much about my choices or the way I handle certain situations and I don't know how He could still love me. But He does...

God's word is full of promises and lessons. Encouraging words that speak to me. Tonight this passage spoke to me, especially the last seven lines. Let me personalize it for you, and tell you why I think this is gonna mean a lot to me this semester.

I live in the midst of trouble. Among people who are constantly trying to get me to do things that honestly - sometimes I want to give in to. I know how to say no, and I can so no. But time after time I can feel the force behind my voice began to wary. I am surrounded by things of this world. And thats a really tough place to be. But guess what?
God guards me against the people threatening to bring me down. I might feel like I'm alone, but in reality, there is something much bigger than me working against them. Inside there is God saying - Kari is that really what you want to do?? THINK ABOUT IT. Anger only last so long. The things you deal with inside your heart and the choices you make - well those feelings last a lot longer.
God has saved me. God has given me a choice. He has given me something to live for other than the things in this world. He has given me HOPE. When it comes down to it, life is not about the clothes you wear, what "cool" people you associate with, how many parties you go to, how many realtionships you've had. what matters is living for God and being an influence to the people around you - and let me tell you i am TRYING. and I'm not gonna sit here and tell you that its easy. cuz its definitely IS NOT. I mess up all the time. But I want to grow. and I want to get closer to Him. and I believe in His promises. and thats what matters
the Lord is here to help me. and i'm gonna let Him.
His mercy will never end. and I am so grateful for that. because no matter how much we want to be the perfect christians and lead our lives with this godly example for everyone else to see... we can't. we're humans. and we're going to sin. and we're going to make mistakes. but God is gonna love us anyways. as long as we keep coming back to Him and His word...

HE IS NOT GOING TO LET ME GO.

No comments: