December 05, 2010

Faith, NOT Fear.

God rest ye merry, gentlemen
Let nothing you dismay
Remember, Christ, our Saviour
Was born on Christmas day
To save us all from Satan's power
When we were gone astray
O tidings of comfort and joy,
Comfort and joy
O tidings of comfort and joy


Have you ever really thought about the lyrics of this song? I hadn't until church this morning.

May you find your joy and rest in Jesus. Let nothing cause you dismay. Because Jesus is there for you. He was born for you. God sent a child - God sent His son - that we may have new life in Him. We can find peace in knowing that God is there for us, no matter what comes our way. Satan has no power over us, as long as we are placing our faith in God alone. All we like sheep have gone astray, but God is our shepherd. And He is there to bring us back. With comfort. With joy. With reassurance. With hope. In light of the Christmas season, let us be merry in Him. Life is a struggle, but He never lets us go.

I have been struggling to maintain control over my life lately. In light of finals, I have become overwhelmed with all the things I have to do. I cry for no reason. I feel like giving up. On top of that, there are all these other things clouding my mind: Pain, Confusion, Questions, Lack of Wisdom. Not only have I been battling with school but I have been battling with my emotions. Unfortunately, I have been trying to do handle it all on my own. And, as a result, I've been a mess. In the midst of the storm, I have been running away from God instead of recognizing that He is my strength in my weakness - if only I let Him. To let go of my pride, and to let God take control.

Let the holiday season be a reminder of who God is, what He has done for us. Seek Him boldy. Trust Him. Have faith that He has the answers. We are all thirsty - for God - the water of life. We all need to be reminded that we desparately need Jesus. In the midst of our struggle, we need to remember that nothing is too big for Him to handle. Don't tell God how big your storm is, tell your storm how big your God is. Fall in love with God. Trust Him with your life. Allow Him to make you whole again.

We all need reminders of who Jesus is. We all need reminders that we're not alone. I have been trying to handle everything on my own and today I am suddenly renewed with energy because of what the Father has done through me. I can rest in Him. I can find tidings of comfort and joy even when the waves of difficult circumstances are crashing around me, because I KNOW GOD. I just need to stop being afraid and have faith in God, even in light of the storm. He will calm the waters in His perfect timing, until then, we can find hope in His promises. That He will never let go.

Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all you who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Kari Ann. That quote about telling the storms how big your God is is one of my faves. Have you ever heard the song "Praise You In This Storm" by Casting Crowns? It's great, and definitely kind of goes along with the thoughts of this post. Here's a link to it if you by chance haven't heard it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGPS8sa-bRQ

Kari Ann said...

Seriously. One of my ALL-TIME favorite songs. : ) When my Aunt passed away 3 and 1/2 years ago, it was one of things that got me through. Amazing.

Anonymous said...

Aw sorry to hear about your Aunt. :[ But yeah it is definitely one of those songs that can pull you through hard times in life. You've seen that skit of Lifehouse's "Everything" being performed right? I'm sure you have. That's another song that when I watch that video always gives me the chills.

Kari Ann said...

I have now. : ) Awesome. The song alone gets to me. And that, was just... AMAZING. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

You are welcome! Hopefully you saw this one, the original. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA There are lots of good ones out there, but I think that one's the best.

Anonymous said...

I am so much the same. When the going gets rough, I high-tail it away from God, scrambling to pick up the pieces and put them together all on my own, pulling any control I've given God back from Him.