December 23, 2010

Missing Words.

"Oh, the comfort - the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person - having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all right out, just as they are, chaff and grain together; certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then with the breath of kindness blow the rest away."

Conversation is taken for granted, even at its simplest components
. Something as simple as a "Hello" is uttered and it is forgotten before the other person has even responded. We speak out of habit. We speak out of necessity. We respond because it is required. We listen because we have to, without ever really hearing a word that is said. We analyze text conversations, emails, and online messages via social networks, but when it comes to face to face interaction we lose the importance.

Few things are more treasured to me in my life than conversations with friends, family, and strangers alike. How amazing to simply interact with another person - to hear and to be heard. We are all so busy with our everyday lives that we cut out the time for adequate conversation. We always have somewhere to be, something to do, someone else to see. Often, the person we should be paying attention to is the one right in front of us. How hard is it to take a moment to really ask someone how they are doing? To take a moment and simply, care.

Some of my greatest memories are snippets of conversations I have had with people. Ones that I play over and over again in my mind. We all need someone. And sometimes, someone needs us when we don't even know it. And all it takes is a conversation - to change someone's life, to make an impact on their day, to show them they're not alone, to recognize the life of another. I don't know where I would be without the people who took the time to listen, to share, to talk. And on the same hand, I know that nothing gives me greater joy than being able to be there for someone else. I love being available for people if ever they need something. Because one conversation can make all the difference.

How often do we pass opportunities by? How often do we push aside our friends and loved ones or a talkative stranger because we're too "busy"? How often have we needed someone to talk to and no one has been there? Or how often has someone been there? How many times do we half-heartedly participate in conversations? How many times have we walked away not knowing what has been said? On the flip side, how many times have we walked away from a conversation refreshed, rejuvenated, and full of joy?

In light of the holiday season I encourage you to invest in conversation. Words are not just arbitrary things. They mean something. Especially coming from someone who cares and someone we care about. I'm grateful for all the people who weren't too busy for me. Some of them made me who I am today. Some of them changed my life.

Whose life can you change? Who has changed yours? Christmas is a time for giving... Maybe just give your time. your voice. your listening ear. : )

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the message of this post, thanks. And really like that quote too. Very true indeed.

Maria said...

I love the quote too and the message of your post. thanks for sharing. you're right Christmas is a time of giving.. Merry Christmas to you!:)

caterpillar said...

So so true...I always forget to call my friends and there have been times when I've felt that a call would have made things a lot better...thanks for sharing...

Kari Ann said...

Thank you all : ) I really appreciate the comments!