January 01, 2011

Resolutions and Possible Solutions.

Wanting to be someone you're not is a waste of the person you are.

Does a new year change who you are? Not instantaneously. The hands on the clock strike twelve and suddenly happiness is renewed, love is found, possiblities are seen, and it seems to be that hope is restored. Perhaps it is something inside of us, a pyschological trick that makes us believe a new year means a new "you", a new set of possibilities, the ability to reach your dreams. Every year people make resolutions they vow they are going to keep. Why? Why today? What makes now the time to set goals, to try to be a better person, to change the world?

I don't make new years resolutions. If anything, in the midst of everyone who is, I realize this is a reminder to be thankful for all the things I already have and to remind myself of who I am. Where I am. Where I am headed. There is always a desire to better myself. Mostly, to fall deeper in love with God in order to see how He can use the person I am and who I have yet to be. Come as you are. Know that that is enough. It's not about goals you will never keep. It's not about diets that will not last. It's not about extravagant plans you may never accomplish. But to simply be who you are in this moment and know that that is enough. God loves you here, in this moment, in the beginning of this new year.

I have been learning a lot lately. Mostly it's been about patience. To be patient and wait for God's voice. To wait for God's plan. To prayerfully seek Him and be patient in knowing the answers may not, and probably will not, come when I want them to. I graduate in four months and I have no idea what I am doing when that happens. Patience. Trust. I have questions that haunt me. Patience. I have dreams I wish to fulfill. Patience. So often New Years is about instant gratification and what we can accomplish now. What if it's not about now? What if you can't plan for all the things you want? What if you're not supposed to set goals you can't keep?

What if, you are just supposed to live. Life is too short to take things for granted, and to overlook what we already have. And in light of all the resolutions, it should be acknowledge that growing closer to God should be, should always be, the number one goal. For if we are seeking Him with all our hearts, with all our minds, with all our strenghth, then the rest of everything will fall into place. In His time. In His perfect plan. With His guiding hand. Be happy with who you are and allow God to mold you this coming year. Allow Him to take control. Surrender all the things you want and ask Him what He wants for you. Guarantee His plan is far greater than anything you could ever imagine.

Happy New Year everyone. God Bless : )

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE this post. " I graduate in four months and I have no idea what I am doing when that happens. Patience. Trust. I have questions that haunt me. Patience." I am with you in that 100%. We just have to have faith and patience, like you said, and let God take us where He wants. Happy New Year :]

Maria said...

this post makes a lot of sense. i have lots of questions swirling inside my head. but you're right, it's all about patience. having the faith. and ofcourse a huge amount of optimism.

happy twenty eleven!

Jamie said...

I really love this post. I've been having a lot of trouble with being patient lately. It's like I'll try a new way of thinking, and if it doesn't change how I feel instantly, I get pissed. But I like your view on it. Your right, not everyone can change in an instant, one day of the whole entire year. I have to learn that.

I've also been thinking lately more as of God as the rock, the ground that is always there. It's such a comforting thought. If we can't, God can.

Following you.

caterpillar said...

Good post...and a sensible one too...wishing you a great 2011