January 30, 2011

Deleted Scenes.

This is the place where I found you. I wish life were like the movies so I could delete the scenes that broke us. The scenes that distanced us. The scenes that keep us from telling the truth. We're dancing, you and I. We're sliding past words that will never be said.

If I could delete everything that shattered my heart, I would love to say I would. But the truth is, I wouldn't. Because real life is better than the movies. It's better because it's messy. It's authentic. It's raw. And, it sucks but underneath all the bullshit there's truth. And the truth, that's what really matters. Even when it's not being said, it matters. Because the truth brings people together and it tears people apart. It mends broken hearts and it shatters who we are. It breaks apart what we've always known, and in the same breath, it shows us a brand new sunrise. It shows us colors we've never known to exist. The truth is like a light in the night. You just have to choose to turn it on.

You used to be the center of the world for me. That's what I want to say. But the truth is that you still are. And all the words I'm not allowed to say out loud? I promise they're being written down. Saved for the day you wake up and realize I'm the girl you've always wanted. I'm the girl you've always loved. When you get past your hearbreak, when you get past your past, I'll be here. Waiting. Just like you used to wait for me. You used to be patient. You used to be strong. You used to be everything I thought I never could be. I will be that for you now. I will be strong. I will pretend that this wall between us doesn't break me every time I talk to you. I will pretend that acting like everything is normal doesn't make me cringe. I will pretend that I don't love you.

Storms are playing their way through our movie and I'm lost in the rain. A tower stands waiting to be torn down. Real life says there is no happy ending. Reality tells me your fortress is false. But hope tells me to keep holding on. My concrete heart tells me not to break. Because the truth is more than you can bear and all that I have left.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's absolutely beautifully written.

Kari Ann said...

Thank you very much : )