January 12, 2011

Undertones.

I will keep this song on repeat. If I never let it fade, does that mean you will love on?
I hold onto the pieces you gave me - tangible things I clutch with these hands. The same hands that once touched you for the first time, touched your bare skin before it collided with mine.
I keep the memories caged away but sometimes our vivid interactions still infiltrate my mind. My heart is a box that can't stay closed, can't be chained. I stay awake because sleeping means dreaming of you.
We're playing pretend, you and I. Once again, we are children pretending to be grown-ups pretending to be heroes. Here we are invincible. Here the truth does not exist.

The truth only lies in the pages you will never read. The pages that hold secrets you will never know.

Every morning the darkness fades as the colors etch their way across the sky. Without fail, the sun awakens the day with purples and reds cascading into yellows and blues. The mural expands and then disappears until there is only sky. And a day begins. Without questions. Without qualms. A day begins and the living live.

If you awoke to a rainbow sky in a world where I no longer existed, would the world look different? A day would begin, you would live and I would not. And then where would we be?

Then would you remember? The way our bodies found my bed. The way our mouths spoke in rhythm. How we laid there unaffected by the world, naked and without shame. Or the hours we used to spend in conversation. Or perhaps how we used to say "I love you," how I loved you... The way no one ever understood who we were together. The way God gave us each other.

In lieu of my absence, promise me you'd stop pretending. That you'd tell the truth. Because the truth, is really all that matters.

4 comments:

Maria said...

i really admire the way you write, so easy to read and so moving. leaves with this unfathomable feeling..

Kari Ann said...

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it : )

Ms. Morgan said...

Hey thanks for the add. Can't wait to read more of your blog!

Anonymous said...

This is incredibly beautiful. I'm kind of speechless as to what to say about it, other than I loved it and love the way you write.