January 16, 2011

breaking down walls.

“You must unlearn. To get what you want, you must be open not only to learning – but un-learning. You must sign up for un-lessons – where you unlearn learned fear, guilt, anger, jealousy, insecurity.”

We place ourselves behind walls. We consciously place ourselves behind walls and make ourselves believe that we are permanently stuck there. We convince ourselves we belong here... secluded from whatever is on the other side, incapable of changing, lacking the strength to break down the wall. We place ourselves behind walls. We lie to ourselves day after day, accepting a lesser version of who we really are. Days go by, months go by, years go by, and one day we wake up and realize that this wall has been blocking the world for far too long. But by then, we are too comfortable behind it. We would rather wallow in the hole that has become a part of us then do something to change it. So we stay behind the wall. For another month. For another year. And we continue to believe the lie that this is who we are. This wall is part of us. The other side is no longer an option, and that is okay.

WAKE UP. Stop believing this lie. If we place ourselves behind these walls, it should be just as evident that we can take them down. Take them down and start living. Start believing we are who we've always been. Capable of change. Capable of escaping the bad habit. Capable of being confident. Capable of stepping out and going after our dreams. We are capable. All it takes is a choice.

My Pastor said this today... The biggest barrier placed on our lives is about what we believe or don't believe in. I used to believe my weaknesses were a part of who I am. Maybe they are. But that doesn't mean I have to let them win. The desire to overcome the weaknesses in my life has always been there. And, believing in God and who He is gives me the strength to do something about it. I might not be able to break down the walls in my life by my own strength, but with God living through me, I can. My weaknesses have no power when I believe in my Heavenly Father.

3 comments:

Madison Cleo said...

Here's to breaking down the walls, lovely.

Megan Oechsner said...

Amen! I was reading through quotes yesterday and came across one that I had seen before:

"Sometimes people put up walls not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down."

What a silly idea that people would intentionally put those walls up just to test those they love around them! I love what your pastor had to say about all this as well. :)

Stephany said...

I love this! It's exactly what I needed to read today.