April 27, 2011

Peace Be With You.

John 14:27 "I'm leaving you peace. I'm giving you my peace. I don't give you the kind of peace that the world gives. So don't be troubled or cowardly."

I walk toward a vast ocean - overwhelmed by the incomprehensible landscape. There is nothing but blue-green. The waves are crashing against the shore. The water dips and rolls -- hiding and taking away the things I will never know or never see. It is ominous and peaceful all once. I get lost in the beauty of a seeming forever, wondering what is on the other side. How deep is this ocean? I want to explore its hidden caverns and meet its extraordinary creatures. I want to be a part of this world. Ariel longed to walk on land, and I long to drown in the sea. I walk toward a vast ocean -- wanting to dive in, but instead, stand hesitantly on the shoreline.

I let the water brush against my toes. I am surprised at how cool and refreshing it feels. I step a little further, venture a little farther. I let the water rise to my calves. I close my eyes and take it all in. The water has seen distant shorelines. The water has evaporated and come again. The water is a part of a greater plan that I cannot understand. Water keeps people alive. Why should I be scared of it? With my eyes still closed, I let the water reach my waist. The temperature is taking over my body. I can barely feel anymore. I am numb to the world around me. All that matters is the water. I take a deep breath. I stop thinking. I dive in.

How often do we let the looming unknown dictate our willingness to dive in? Just because we can't see the bottom or the opposing shoreline doesn't mean we won't make it through the exploration. We must be willing to have faith. We must be willing to jump even without knowing where we will fall. For, God is the water. He holds secrets and avenues waiting to be explored, waiting to be discovered. We only come to know them when we allow ourselves to drown in His presence. Take the step to be a part of His world. There are people you have yet to meet. Miracles you have yet to see. Opportunities you have yet to discover. And they're all there - in the water - the water of life.

It's a process. Finding the courage to get in - all the way in. We get cold feet, we're scared of the way it feels, because we are no longer in control. But that's the beautiful thing about it. We don't have to be in control. By choosing to dive in, we surrender control to the One who knows a plan far greater than anything we could ever imagine. We cannot swim on our own, but through God, we are giving the strength to reach shores we never even knew existed. This is the only time where drowning is a good thing - an eternal thing. When we choose to drown ourselves in the Holy Spirit, it is only then that we can truly live. There will be dangers and trials - times when we feel like giving up. But God will remain faithful. We must let go of the world we know and surrender ourselves to the Truth, the Life, the Way.

I walk toward a vast ocean. I have been here before. I remember the way the sand felt on my toes, the warmth of its caress. I want to stay here but I know I must continue on. The warmth will fade, and the sand will blow away, but the water will continue to come in and out with the tide. I step in and remember its refreshment. It chills me to the bone. I want more. I walk forward, letting my body become immersed. I am unsure where I will find the strength to continue on, but I know that I must. Water gives life, and I am searching for the only life that matters. The only life that has ever mattered - life in the Holy Spirit.

I want to be immersed in His love and everlasting faithfulness. I want to surrender the comfortable for the unknown. I want to swim freely in His promises. I will only find strength when I lose myself. And so, I dive in.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Love this.... absolutely beautiful!!

Kari Ann said...

Thanks girl. :) It's only beautiful because of what Jesus does in and through me.