January 06, 2009

what are you afraid of?

"Death is not the biggest fear we have; our biggest fear is taking the risk to be alive -- the risk to be alive and express what we really are." - Don Miguel Ruiz

  1. I am afraid of icy roads, winding corners, highways covered with blowing snow and fog
  2. I am afraid I like Qdoba way too much for my own good :)
  3. I hate swimsuits.
  4. I am afraid I'm going to get in a car accident, and wake up in the hospital barely there...
  5. I am afraid of passing cemi's on the interstate
  6. I am afraid of sleeping past my alarm, missing an important class, being late for work
  7. I am afraid of getting fat, or gaining more weight than i think is acceptable... than people think is acceptable...
  8. I am afraid I care what people think more than I let on
  9. I am afraid that sometimes I drink too much
  10. I am afraid that sometimes I'm too emotional for my own good, but after years of trying to turn it off, I have realized it is who I am, and there is nothing I can do about it
  11. I am afraid of graduating college and not finding a job, just because I followed my dream to pursue English - and then
  12. I am afraid of hearing "I told you so"
  13. I am afraid of transferring schools next semester, of going someplace completely brand new and not knowing anyone, even though I know its what I need to do
  14. I am afraid of stepping out of my comfort zone
  15. I am afraid that only a few people know who I really am, and there are so many things I keep hidden that I wish I could share with the world
  16. I am afraid of losing someone else that I love, every day when I realize how much of a hole is left in my heart after my Aunt passed away, I am afraid to wake up to find it happening all over again...
  17. I am afraid of dying young, and not so much the dying part but leaving behind parts of me that matter. I want to make a difference. I want to make an impact on the world and the people around me. I want to be the best person I could possibly be. I want to die, holding on to Jesus and all His promises - and I am afraid that right now I would not be ready for that to happen.
  18. I am afraid that I am losing the people I care about the most, whether its because we are growing up and changing, or that I am putting in less effort than I should be - what if someday soon I no longer have many of the friends I now care so much about? My friends are my life, more than they probably should be, but I am not good on my own - and I need them. I need them more than I probably express, and I am so so afraid of losing them.
  19. I am afraid that my guy friends will soon disappear out of my life to girls who they actually care about in a romantic sense (it has happened so many times before, so why should I be surprised that it will happen again?) I would much rather talk to guys, hang out with guys, confide in guys - but will that backfire to one day when they choose their significant others over me? Leaving me all alone with no one...
  20. I am afraid my life holds little significance, and that more often lately than not I get caught up in the little temporary satisfactions (the drinking, the socializing, the late nights) and lose sight of what really matters. I choose sleep after a long night than getting up and going to church with my family. damn...
  21. I am afraid that I put so much time into my words, so much time into what I write on this screen, and so much hope into what might become of it - that maybe I am not as talented as people say that I am. That these words are simply that - words, and me and the combination of them will never amount to anything. Then where will I be?
  22. I am afraid of growing up. Already I have thought about getting my masters, not just because I want it so incredibly bad, but to postpone the real world just a couple more years. In practically two years I will be graduating college. The last two years have gone by so fast, that I don't know how I am ever going to be ready when the time comes. We are getting older, but yet still so young to know anything...
  23. I am afraid I'm not the best sister I could be, and I wish that I could connect to my brother more - but I feel like I fail time after time, and I am worried where our relationship will end up when we both have lives of our own.
  24. I am afraid of people reading this, people who are so close to me - yet have no clue what I do on this blog, or that it even exists. I guess, I wish I wasn't so afraid to let them read it, because in reality - they are the people I want to know the depths of me. to really understand parts of me that I have a hard time saying out loud, but that are relatively easy to put on paper.
  25. I am afraid of blogger deciding one day that they can no longer function, the sight crashing, and losing all these pieces of me that are only kept safe online
  26. I am afraid there is so much more I could say, but right now... I just can't.


3 comments:

Seth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Seth said...

"I am afraid of dying young, and not so much the dying part but leaving behind parts of me that matter. I want to make a difference. I want to make an impact on the world and the people around me. I want to be the best person I could possibly be. I want to die, holding on to Jesus and all His promises - and I am afraid that right now I would not be ready for that to happen."

I know that this is corny, but know that no matter what you do the rest of your life you have made a difference for at least one person. People always tell others about how they saved them, helped them turn their life around but I am not sure they can really mean it like I do. I will never forget that night at the lake, you were there and you made a differece. :)

Nic said...

"I am afraid of graduating college and not finding a job, just because I followed my dream to pursue English - and then
I am afraid of hearing "I told you so""

This, I have some experience with, so does my sister. And I can honestly say that it's best dealt with by finding a polite way to tell the person in question to mind their own business. They have no right to pass judgements on what you study and why. There's nothing wrong with studying what you love, even if it doesn't lead to solid career prospects. The way I see it is that if you make yourself miserable studying something you hate, just because of a difficult graduate jobs market, you're only going to be miserable in the job it leads to.

And frankly, I have no desire to waste any of my time and money being miserable. Studying needs to be about more than just job prospects. If it isn't, you're studying for the wrong reason.