May 21, 2010

just say, yes.

James 4: 14 - 15 "You don't know what will happen tomorrow. What is life? You are a mist that is seen for a moment and then disappears. Instead, you should say, "If the Lord wants us to, we will live and carry out our plans."

If there is one thing I have learned lately, it is this: Every day is a struggle. Every day presents itself as a test, as an opportunity, and we are given the choice as to what we do with it. Every day, we are asked to surrender the day, ourselves, our dreams, our worries, and give them over to God. Every day is another step - either forward towards God, or backwards into our own selfish ways. Every day is a gift. Every day that we wake up again, and breathe, and walk, and feel - We can either be thankful and aware of how it is we exist, or we can take it for granted.

I love the verse above. Life, my life, is simply a mist that is seen for a moment and then disappears. It is not mine to live. And, tomorrow is not mine to worry about. It is not mine to plan. God is the only one who knows what will happen tomorrow. God is the only one who is in control of the plans that have yet to be fulfilled. The beautiful thing, is that if my heart is focused on God, my desires and His desires can be the same. Because, He will place His desires upon my heart and make them my own. That is the beauty of a relationship with Christ. But, its not easy. And, it's not supposed to be. I have learned that each day is a sacrifice. Each day is a conscious surrender of myself. And, sometimes I fail. Sometimes, I go through my day centered on myself and I leave God out of it... I'm going to fail. I'm human. But, I also love Jesus. And, no matter how it is, it is worth it to fight every day for a focus on God.

I recently moved back from college for the summer, again. And year after year, it is always a period of transition. Going from being independent and on my own, living by myself, to once again living under my parents roof. And, don't get me wrong, I love my family - but it's different. It's hard to find a quiet moment, peace and quiet to spend with God, to breathe, to think, to just be. And, my friends here are different. Its a change of pace, its a change of company. I don't have a church here really. I don't have a place to be fed week by week. And, that's hard. Summers in the past have been repetitive and self-centered. Parties. Alcohol. Staying Busy. Losing sight of God... I refuse to let that happen this summer.

This past week has been very encouraging, and an awesome start. It just fills me with the promise that through God, all things are possible. It is a matter of choices. It is a matter of desire. And, my desire is to make this a fun summer, an enjoyable summer, a summer centered on God. Me and two of my girlfriends are starting a bible study next week. I'm stoked. And, I'm encouraged. I have spent all week hanging out with the two of them, and it is just so awesome to be surrounded with people who can have fun doing the simplest of things, people who love God just as much as I do. People make a difference. The company you choose to surround yourself with, makes a difference. God is always there, but fellowship is necessary too.

It is vital to give up our lives, each and every day, to surrender constantly all our wants, worries, and desires and let God be our focus. It is through Him we will continue to see the light. All you have to do is say: Yes, I will follow you. Give each day to God and let Him fill your life abundantly - with joy, with purpose, with hope. Live a legacy. Live for God - to serve, to follow, to believe, to surrender. We are only humans. Alone, we can do nothing. Through Christ, we can do anything He asks.

[I apologize for my lack of posts lately! I plan on being back more consistently :) ]

2 comments:

Jill said...

GOod luck making this summer the best one yet :D I really love that verse also. We get so caught up in planning and worrying about the future, it's good to step back and realize that God is in control.

Anonymous said...

Im proud of you. Sometimes things we want, don't happen as quickly or the exact way we would like. I admire you for allowing God to shape every step of your walk. :)