May 07, 2010

Religion 101

I have a problem with this question: "Are you religious?"

Tonight I was talking to a girl at work about a few things... including youth conferences and where I go to church, etc. And she says, "Oh, are you religious?" I wanted to say No. I am not. Because... It is not a religion, it is a relationship. "Religion" is so ambiguous. It is so broad. Anyone can claim to be "religious". Anyone can claim to follow a "religion" or to come from a "religious" background. That answer could mean anything. It could mean you go to church on holidays. It could mean you went to one youth conference back in high school. It could mean you believe, but don't practice. It could mean anything... Also, the other problem I have with this question: The person who asks it normally does not have a relationship with God. I say this because if I get talking to someone and they start talking about their church, or what they've done with their church, or missions, or anything else related... how they live their life etc, I would dig deeper. I would want to know more. I would say more than "Are you religious?" That is not the question that needs to be asked. That is also not the question that needs to be answered. It doesn't stem to something deeper. It doesn't invite you in. It doesn't ask you to open your heart. It is a response as if to say: "Oh, you are one of those people that believe in God?"

The next question this girl asked me was this: "So, do you not drink?" Introduce stereotype number one: Christians do not drink. They are judgemental of those who do. And, if they do drink... they are hypocrites, living two different lives. I'm sure you want to know how I responded, so I'll get to that part before I continue. I simply said: "I don't have a problem with drinking, but I'm not a party girl. I'm not into random parties, with random people, getting wasted. I don't see the point of going out every weekend." She nodded. And, continued on to my current interest in boys. No opening to share my heart. No opening to continue on. It sucks when people close themselves off to you. When they don't even want to hear what you have to say... All you can do is try to be a light through the simple stories you do get a chance to tell.

There are so many things I want to say when I am asked these questions. There are so many stories, and experiences, and passionate reasons that I want to share, that come to my head. But, sometimes you have to be selective. Or, at least you have to be aware of what will be responded to well. Sometimes, God says: Spill it all. Other times, you have to break into your passion bit by bit in hopes of getting to share more as your friendship with that person develops and breaks into something more full of trust, more than just a co-worker or acquaintaince. Sometimes, its hard to know when is the time for what. Sometimes, its hard to know when to share. What to share. How to share. Especially when you're not expecting it.

The last day of my art of persuasion class, she passed out pieces of paper on different topics. The goal was to respond to the topic. After a few minutes, you were to pass your piece of paper to the left, and that person would respond to what you had written. After a semester full of debate over the concept of absolute truths... I knew the majority of my class did not believe in God. So, as if to say: Here you go Kari, I got the topic of "Religion". My teacher posted our responses online today. So... here it is. My response, followed by 3 other people.

Me: It is not a religion, it is a relationship. So many negative connotations get placed on "religion". But, it is a belief system of a Creator, the hope of eternal life, a genuine friendship with "One." It is more about a way of living than simply a "practice" or rules to follow. It is personal. It is real.
Person 1: I agree that religion is personal and a way of living than a practice or rules. Obviously, society needs to be governed by rules - but religion is aobut control. It is a silly concept that people get so wrapped up in that they forget what the principle is truly about. We rely so heavily on what an institution tells us how to live, and instead we need to let go, stay true to ourselves, and our own values, rather than say that "religion" can guide us through life. We are afraid to live how we truly want, so we let religion guide us.
Person 2: Religion is a governing fact of life for many people, including me. The instituation does sway ppeople's opinions, but that is what it is meant to do! People need leaders to help them along the path of religion, but it is our place to discern.
Person 3: I do think religion has its place in the world, but there is entirely too much plublic relation to it. Religion should be a personal cohice, and enforced in personal settings with other people who connect in a similar way. However, it seems that religion is still in the forefront.

I just wish I would have had time to say more. I always wish I had more time. I always wish I had more opportunity. I always wish I could share... everything. Share my heart. Share my soul. Talk about the one who has stolen my heart: My God. My Savior. My Creator. My heart is full with joy and the blessing God has given me... It is full with what He has taught... It is full of mistakes, it is full of lessons, it is full of all the things that have brought me closer to God. My heart is full with a passion, a passion to live for the One who created me, the One who called me His, the One who saved me. The One who healed me. The One who loves me. When people ask me a question, the problem is not what to say... but where to start.

2 comments:

Eilis said...

I agree with you 100%.

For the longest time, my standard answer to the question "are you religious" was no. It wasn't because I didn't believe in God, but because I felt that my faith was (and is) so much more than "religious." It's a relationship. It's a journey. It's a mountain climb. For me, it's who I am. I feel like answering yes to "are you religious" somehows signifies that you can turn the "religious" switch off and on. I can't do that.

Love this post. It's really got me thinking.

Anonymous said...

I think it's great how on fire for God you are. : ) : )

You are very encouraging.