January 25, 2010

take a chance on me.

you're standing at the door of my heart, and i'm looking out the window - watching you. it's cold out there, without love and running out of time to change my mind. it must hurt. watching the years pass us by, different girls and different guys - never slowing down to reflect. rewind. retry. i would give it to you if i could, everything and more. but inside the corners of my heart, i'm afraid that it is not warm. i can't promise pleasure, a life without pain. i can't give you a guarantee. but, i would like for you to take a chance on me. even though, i don't know, if i will answer the call. you stand there - patiently waiting, like you always have, and probably, always will. a man that can't be moved... i believe the song goes. and so, sing to me a melody of your own. show me harmony, you and me, and years yet to be. i want to know we can make it. i want to believe, its worth it, to try. for me, commitment has always been an issue, subconscious and avoided. i make excuses for my lack of experience. with boys. (or at least, dating them). i would rather settle for mere pleasure, now and again. yet, that is not satisfactory either... is it? so i guess i lose. have been losing. will keep on losing, until someone changes my mind. maybe, that someone is you... who stands at the door of my heart, peering into the glass, a mirror of yourself and the reflection of me. and i, well, i like the view from here. it's safer this way. sheer comfort in the presence of my loneliness (contentment). all around me is patience, or fear (as you would say). i like to pretend, though, it's all okay. to be, here - alone. in this world of play-it-safe, and protect-your-heart. for, my heart has broken before. i've let someone in the door (the one you stand behind), briefly and still - pieces gone, never to mend, to recover, or find again. so why should i do it? why should i try? is it worth the tears. the frustration. the fighting, the arguments, the lies. i know, you say you'll never hurt me, you say you'll always try, to be, a man. my man. now and forever. but baby, promises are broken every day...

No comments: