March 27, 2010

Do you remember? I do.

I travel back in time, sometimes. Back to where we were young and carefree and completely foolish. Falling for the more barren of promises. If only for something to hold onto.

A butterfly lands nearby and you hold it in the palm of your hand, but eventually, you have to let it go. Breathtaking colors exist, but how do you find them? They don't stay put. They are never in the same places. I saw a sunrise today, but tomorrow it will not return... indigo and crimson, amber and sapphire. The shattering image of the unexplainable, the unattainable. There is no pot of gold. There is no hidden treasure. Only the affirmation of an end. Always, an end. Forever, an end. Life begins, already knowing it will one day die.

I wanted to believe in the future. You told me I could. I let you touch me - body and soul. I can still feel your hands. I can still hear your words. Our bodies colliding. My trust growing. We spent a night beneath the stars, dancing alone in the night. Oh, how tenderly you sang. Oh, how I thought this would last. If only I had known, I could have missed the pain. But, then I would have missed the dance... forever, these images will play.

In the day, I hear the music. Songs without words. Speaking anthems without saying a thing. I hear it in everything around me. I hear it in the unseen. Melodies created out of nothingness. Emotional chords hidden in the air. An allure in the unspoken. Beauty found, simply, in hearing through the heart. Meaning in the silence. Finding what lies under the surface, finding the melody beneath the noise.

I wonder if you remember who I was that summer, who we were, together. Sometimes I still wonder, what we might have been. If only we had been given the chance. If only you had given me a chance. I let you in and you broke me. You abandoned me in the middle of a dream, and I came crashing down. I was deceived. You played me. You were just a boy. Just like the others. Only, I believed you weren't. I wanted you to be different. And, I never saw it coming...

In the night, there is a stillness. Darkness envelops and hides. Senses are heightened because the eyes cannot see what stands out there... waiting to be discovered. Waiting to reach out, and touch you when you least expect it. In the night, there is silence. In the night, there is serenity. There is the rushing calm that awakens, slows the breathing, and speaks to the heart. In the night, there are answers.

Now you are just a boy. A boy from my past. There have been boys after you, as there will continue to be. Attempted tries, lost loves, composing a list of "could-have-beens". With you at the top. Number one. The first to show me what it means to believe in the unattainable, with hopes that someday, someone will prove me wrong. You were just a stereotype. Just another boy, concerned with the live-in-the-moment. You were a beautiful sunrise. You faded. You were a song. You made me weep. But, you made me feel. You made me hear. You made me see. Truth.

Every morning, there is a sunrise. A signifier of hope. The invitation to another try. A beautiful surrender. Giving in to live again, always to live. A promise. Another day. Another song. Another love.

No comments: