March 27, 2011

The Four Seasons

We were young lovers dancing in the shade of spring. A blanket was our only stage, our skin the only costume needed -- we played parts we'd never known. You made me feel like a princess. You made me believe in fairytales again. We danced into forever. You led me to undiscovered places, and I was safe there.

We were scattered popsicle sticks on a summer day. It was an indulgence enjoyed, then soon forgotten -- the remnants fleeing fast from my tongue. You used to be my favorite flavor. You were the treat I had waited for, but you didn't last. I remember needing your sweetness. I close my eyes and taste you again. Your breath is cool against the heat.

We were fallen leaves in the autumn breeze. You scattered the only love I ever knew, the only colors I ever wanted to keep. I thought a heart could be crushed, not crunched -- little by little, piece by piece, every step another pain, another tear. The wind picks up and I lose you as the remnants of my heart disappear.

I am the bird that no longer sings in winter's song. You broke the part of me that wanted you. I have forgotten what joy sounds like. I have forgotten what love feels like. I have forgotten how to sing. You took my melody, and so I will fly on in hopes of finding my own. I will search for a harmony as I leave your haunting chords behind.

We were young. We were flavor. We are dead. I am free.

1 comment:

Blasphemous Aesthete said...

The way the phases of the relationship and the love dance with skin as costume, the eventual withering ... it is all remarkable.

Cheers,
Blasphemous Aesthete