March 16, 2011

You Were

"Dreams: the place most of us get what we need." - Amy Hempel

At night, I sleep with emptiness --
my fingers reach for your ghost and
I drift into memories of your touch.

The bare side of the bed stays cold.

I used to fall asleep in nakedness,
next to you. I used to be warm
with your body heat, flesh on flesh.
Only fabric layers cover me now.

You're still the one I want to call,
when my world comes crashing down
when I'm shivering inside my skin.
I dial your number and hang up.

I used to look to who you were, and
it's easier to stop missing you now
knowing that you have changed. But
I fear I'll always love you the same.

Loneliness lingers -- I fall asleep with
tears and empty hands, I reach for
memories of what could have been.
Now we speak only in my dreams.

3 comments:

Blasphemous Aesthete said...

The lingering presence of the ghost of one who once warmed our nights, yes its tough, and you depict it quite vividly.

Nice read.

Regards,
Blasphemous Aesthete

Anonymous said...

Babe did you write this? It is amazing...

Kari Ann said...

@Blasphemous Aesthete -- I find it's easier to deal with feelings when you express them in a creative context. I'm glad you liked it. : )

@Lara -- Yes, I did. Anything on my blog is something I wrote : )